Welcome!

Keith and I are picking up to move to Pécs, Hungary for one year. He has never been to Europe and the furthest east I've been is Switzerland.... Our Hungarian language skills are...well, we know some phrases. Come follow us on our adventure!!

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Halloween in Hungary

"Halloween should be a day in which we honor monsters and not be mad at each other." -Micheal Scott, The Office Season 7

T'is true, once upon a time, on All Hallow's Eve, people believed demons and ghosts walked the earth...they would dress up like these monsters so they couldn't be identified as a human...this turned into dressing up to honor monsters to being, "the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it." Mean Girls

Halloween is my favorite holiday...to me, it is all about playing dress up and eating candy, so obviously I had to force every Hungarian near me to celebrate too. My students and I carved a pumpkin, played Halloween Bingo (learned the vocabulary words that went with the game),
Bingo Card

Zozó calling the Bingo Items/Images

and had a really bumpin' Halloween party. Seriously, the Ladybird Halloween party was cooler than mine and Keith's party....also, there was alcohol at both. (cultural difference)

I found a 2nd Hand Shop in Pécs that sold Halloween costumes for little kids...Bea is a little kid, in the body of a grown-up.
Me as "Meg" from the "Meg and Mog" book series that I read to my kids, Zozó as Buzz Lightyear, and Dani as Spiderman (his absolute favorite thing/person evah)
Me and my boss, Eszter, and her darling daughter, Emma
Marcelo (the little Buzz) cried hysterically for the first hour he was so scared of everyone dressed up...Mariana (Cinderella/Marcelo's hermana) is so adorable it makes me ill, the woman behind them is their mom, Ana, the girl in the witch costume, Zsofi, I babysit on Fridays, the cat is Zeti, and the pumpkin, Bea (obviously)

2 comments: