Welcome!

Keith and I are picking up to move to Pécs, Hungary for one year. He has never been to Europe and the furthest east I've been is Switzerland.... Our Hungarian language skills are...well, we know some phrases. Come follow us on our adventure!!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pedestrians of Pécs

Yield to girls with bows walking with an older brother?  Vienna, Austria
As my Facebook friends know, I had a slight obsession with photographing street signs throughout Europe.  My European friends often asked me, "Are they really that different?" while Keith kept telling me, "Meg, you cannot stand in the middle of the street, even if it is to take a photo." 

Well, I'm here to show you how different these 'yield to pedestrian signs' varied not only from the U.S., but from each other (in the same city) too!  And to show Keith that nearly getting ran down by a car(s) was well worth it.

Yield to Roley Poly Children Pécs, Hungary
Yield to these goofy looking silhouettes Pécs, Hungary
Yield to Fathers with Daughters Pécs, Hungary
Yield to aggressively helpful men with their woman Pécs, Hungary
Yield to the Family Circus Children...?  Pécs, Hungary
Okay...This one someone spray painted near Babits...I just thought it was funny. Pécs, Hungary
I think this girl's head looks like a lollipop  Ljubljana, Slovenia
This one is just out of control....Ljubljana, Slovenia

Yield to Athletes Only  Pécs, Hungary
Do we really need the variation?  Are we sending the message to only yield to certain people or the message that everyone is different?  OR - which is most likely but less fun - has a standard sign just not been created?  For those of you who are curious, here is the yield to pedestrian sign in the U.S.
So this is the sign used to let drivers know there is a cross walk ahead and to yield to pedestrians.  In Europe, I found a whole different slew of signage for this:

Businessman Crosswalk Ahead Pécs, Hungary

Average Joe Crosswalk Ahead Pécs, Hungary

Daddies, Daughters and Bicycles are A.O.K. Pécs Hungary

....but not okay here Pécs, Hungary

Frumpy Man Crosswalk Ahead Pécs, Hungary

Men with Hats Crosswalk Ahead Bratislava, Slovakia
Men with Strong Profiles Crosswalk Ahead Vienna, Austria

I have a lot more photographs of signs that look different, but indicate the same thing.  I don't understand the need for variations...between countries, I understand, but variation within the same city seems a bit excessive for my taste.  The last sign I leave you with is from Plitvice, Croatia.  I have absolutely NO idea what it mean.  Hopefully you can interpret it for me.









2 comments:

  1. The last one: NO beach partying ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Meg - I was delighted to come across these, as it has been my fascination ever since on a family holiday in the Netherlands we crossed the border into Germany and could hardly believe how different the 'children crossing' sign was in Germany compared to the Netherlands (which is very different from that in the UK) - and it just seemed to ooze Germanic character! Friends have sent me examples from the old USSR, south Africa and Tenerife (which identical to Slovenia's!). I could share these with you if I knew how. Perhaps I could post them on your facebook page.

    ReplyDelete