Welcome!

Keith and I are picking up to move to Pécs, Hungary for one year. He has never been to Europe and the furthest east I've been is Switzerland.... Our Hungarian language skills are...well, we know some phrases. Come follow us on our adventure!!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Croatian Road Trip: Part I

"I think you did a good job driving, but I will never be your passenger on a road trip again--especially if you are driving stick." -Keith Lambert

I feel the same way...I definitely feel "cool" to be able to drive a manual transmission automobile, but I really hate driving.  It is a very stressful experience for me and everyone else involved.  We got lost about 5783902576834906743890 times. 

Once we got to Plitvice, Croatia.....it was incredible and very much worth it.  Definitely the most beautiful place I have ever been.  The lakes were made into a national park in 1949 and is Croatia's largest national park (294.82 km squared).  UNESCO put it on the list of World Natural Heritages sites in 1979. 

Plitvice Lakes




Fish swimming out of part of the Supljara caves

Keith watching Veliki Slap, Croatia's largest waterfall, Plitvice



View of the Plitvice Lakes from the bluffs
We hiked for seven hours and the incredible beauty didn't stop.  We thought we'd see a few awesome waterfalls and that would be the end...but it just kept going.  We took a ferry across one of the lakes to get to a different part of the trail...the ride into the dock was incredible.  It reminded me of that scene in the first Jurassic park when they are taking the helicopter onto the island.



 Scientists identified 1267 different plant species (including 55 different types of orchids), 321 species of butterflies, 161 species of birds, and 21 species of bats in the national park.  The forest is also home to brown bears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment