Welcome!

Keith and I are picking up to move to Pécs, Hungary for one year. He has never been to Europe and the furthest east I've been is Switzerland.... Our Hungarian language skills are...well, we know some phrases. Come follow us on our adventure!!

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Jó reggelt kívánok (Good Morning)

Most of the Eastern European borders have been redone post WWI. I presume this is why there is confusion as to where I will be living for the next year...
I've been bade well wishes for my extended stay in Turkey and my year in the country of Prague and told I should be brushing up on my Spanish. I usually just say, "Thank you," and smile and then giggle later. For me, I occasionally flip flop the locations of Czech Republic and the Ukraine. It's all totally fine (as long as I need to get to where I'm going)
Keith and I will be living in Pécs, Hungary for one year. Below is the map for Hungary:
(Pécs is that city in the lower left hand corner of the country)



Hungarians seem to be as snooty about their language as the Basque and Catalans in Spain. Around the turn of the 19th century, the Hungarians had a language summit/set of conferences to work on preserving the Hungarian language. Hungarian is NOT part of the the Indo-Euro languages--it is Finnish based and has 40 letters in its alphabet. Let's learn some Hungarian!!

Jó reggelt kívánok: yaw ray*gelt key*vah*nohk: Good morning

Hogy vagy?: Ho/eeg (like the Hawain food poi) voj: How are you?

Köszönöm, jól: Cu*soo*noom, yowl: Thank you, I'm well

And now you know some Hungarian and can come visit us!!!!
Keith and I will be posting some videos of our travels and language trials and errors...get excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment